- This event has passed.
Repurposed Shipping Containers: Tour of SteelCraft – Bellflower
June 26, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 7:45 pm$10 – $15
1.5 AIA LU/HSW
$10 AIA Members & Students
$15 Non-AIA Members
Price increases $5 day-of program
SteelCraft is a Long Beach-based outdoor urban eatery. Built with repurposed shipping containers, SteelCraft goes beyond placing a few shipping containers on a plot of land. Situated in the Long Beach, Bellflower, and Garden Grove communities, the shipping containers activate the street with bright colored containers and become the perfect backdrop for drought-resistant landscaping, community-style seating on reclaimed wood tables, and programming and events under modern string lights. Each container is prepared for tenant improvements by insulating the walls, cutting windows, preserving structural integrity and adding ventilation. Founded on the core principles of restoration, craft and community, SteelCraft has become a destination for locals and travelers alike.
- Understand the shipping container’s structural integrity and how to not compromise the structural integrity when joining multiple containers together with welding;
- Learn how to insulate a shipping container from wind, rain and heat;
- Understand the challenges of integrating electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems;
- Hear about the challenges in developing a project that is new territory for a city’s Building Department;
- Learning the advantages and disadvantages of project Self-Certification plan check program.