Check back here in the Spring of 2024 for the next round
The AIA Long Beach/South Bay Architect Registration Examination (ARE) Scholarship recognizes Associate AIA members early in their careers. It encourages them to complete the licensure process by covering the associated costs of becoming a licensed architect in California.
Up to two (2) ARE Scholarships will be awarded this year.
Up to $1,000 reimbursed over one year for expenses related to California architectural licensing, including:
- Taking and passing each division of the ARE
- Taking and passing the California Supplemental Exam
- NCARB and CAB fees to establish records
- Must submit proof of passing exams with a request for reimbursement.
- Funds must be applied to expenses incurred within 12 months following the date the scholarship is awarded and up to approximately three months prior.
- Recipients may apply and win the AIA Long Beach/South Bay ARE Scholarship up to two times in two consecutive years for a maximum of $2,000.
- Receipt of other ARE scholarships and/or funding does not exclude one from receiving this prize.
Applications for this fall 2023 opportunity are due by December 1, 11:59 pm Pacific Time. The awards will be announced at the December 7 Holiday Party.
- California resident
- AIA Long Beach/South Bay Associate Member in good standing
- NCARB and CAB record holder in good standing or IPAL student
- Applicants may have passed one or more divisions of the ARE but have yet to pass all divisions
*Applicants will be asked to include a copy of their NCARB Authorization to Test or a letter verifying their IPAL status to show proof of scholarship eligibility
- Submitted as a single PDF document (not to exceed 10 pages)
- Landscape orientation (Tabloid 17” x 11”)
- Size limit: 10 MB (website links will not be accepted)
Page 1: Resume
Page 2: Nomination letter on letterhead from an AxP mentor or supervisor, or an AIA member in good standing
Page 3: Essay response, no more than 1-2 page(s) in 12-point font
Pages 4-10: Design Portfolio (may include an additional letter of support)
- Portfolio may include examples of current or past school projects
- It can include personal projects (option to have portfolio include more than architecture: It can consist of art (painting, sculpture, photography, or a reference to film, music, dance, etc.)
- It can include current or past examples of professional work and a description of your role on the project (if it is associated with a firm or company you worked for, a reference to the company must be provided)
Your essay should respond to the following question:
What are the benefits and opportunities of becoming a licensed architect in California?
AIA LBSB utilizes the Submittable platform. You will be prompted to set up a log-in in order to submit.
Thank you and good luck!